How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16710
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 17 years old and tired of my parents the treat me like

Customer Question

I am 17 years old and tired of my parents the treat me like a maid. I have a job and a place I can go and still go to school full time I need to get away from them before I do something bad. Could I leave home now my birthday is ***** March
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Unfortunately, in the state of North Carolina, a person is considered a minor child until the age of 18, unless legally married or legally emancipated.

So, if the minor who is 17 has a job that produces income which would allow the minor to support herself, including paying for her own housing, then the minor can file petition for emancipation in the local court and the judge will review the petition and will hold the hearing and will decide whether to grant legal emancipation to a 17 year old.

Here is the link to the legal emancipation petition available from the NC courts:

I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.