How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mmdesq Your Own Question
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 518
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
mmdesq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was checked into a behavioral hospital because I made a

Customer Question

I was checked into a behavioral hospital because I made a wreckless statement in a hospital that showed possibly endangering myself. I was smiling and it was just a joke.
They held be for 5 days instead of the legal minimal 2 days but anything beyond that was sought above proven required process by the health insurance company and they did not cover for the actual 10 days (Unfounded).
Since them my sister n law is trying to stir up issues and following me and contacting my dentists and telling others I am psychiatric.
My dentist complained to me about her because it seemed unethical and I do not like it at all, because I am close to being estranged from her and my brother.
Does a behavioral stay expire after five years or so? What do I need to do to clear this hospital stay from my record? Can I sue for invasion of privacy from sister-n-law?
Can I file a stalking suit on sister-in-law? She has threatened my whole familys safety in the past.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning,

I will try to best answer your question. You are sister-in-law's behavior is unethical and potentially criminal. You would want to file charges for harassment, stocking and potentially criminal trespass if she ends up on your property. You may also contemplate filing a civil suit for slander if it's oral communications and liable if it's written communications that defame your character in the community. There are methods that you can file a petition to attempt to expunge your hospital admission. This is difficult to do and large part of the difficulty depends upon whether you are voluntarily or involuntarily committed. You will definitely need to obtain copies of your medical records regarding your stay. I would highly advise taking action against your sister in law as her behavior seems to be increasing rather than decreasing in severity.

I hope that this information is helpful and I wish you the best of luck with these difficult circumstances.

Related Family Law Questions