How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118175
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 16yrs old. He has lived with me since 2yrs old. It

Customer Question

My son is 16yrs old. He has lived with me since 2yrs old. It is now the time where my son says he wants to live with his dad. He also is getting his license soon and said his dad wants him to put his address on it. (why?) Anyway, I have been very lienient when it comes to visitation and with my son going when he wants. He is getting older and I know it's natural for young boys to want to spend more time with their dads. The problem I'm having is his dad is military and can be sent off at moments notice. (happened before) My son is still too young to stay on his own at 16. Also I did tell him we could do a trial when he gets his license and stay at his dads during school nights, and split our time like that, that alone will be a big change and I told him as long as his school work didn't suffer it would be ok. He is a great kid and though I will miss him terribly, I want him to know I'm struggling with this also. So I said I know he's going through changes and want to show him I respect his wants but we need a common ground. please help. Also his dad has also been known to be a bully towards me and all I want is to do right by my son.
Please help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Legally, at 16, your son only has a right to express his wishes to the court, but if the court finds him living with dad is not in his best interests. The court can consider his wishes, but does not have to agree with them. If he is insisting, your plan is the most reasonable, temporary to try it out with the understanding that if his grades drop he comes back and you need to get that in writing with Dad. If dad refuses, you can refuse the change and force dad to go to court and you can present evidence to the court how this is not best for your child.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much for your response but, should he (not) change his address on his license or no? This was his dads idea and I'm not sure why. Because of child support maybe?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

If he is going to be living with the father, then during that time you would not be paying dad support, it would typically be suspended during that time. However, yes, that is likely why dad wants the address on the license. I would say if this is temporary, dad's address should not be on the license until it becomes permanent.