How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102350
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My soon to be ex daughter in law lied to chancellor during a

Customer Question

My soon to be ex daughter in law lied to chancellor during a child custody hearing by claiming that she has a mortgage on a house that I own. The judge ordered my son to pay her mortgage and allowed her to live there. I have all paperwork that proves I own the house and pay all payments. How do I get her out?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. What he wants to do as soon as possible is to file a motion for reconsideration of that order, and call you as a WITNESS. Proof of who actually also owns the property should be brought.

Once the Chancellor hears the facts - the real facts- then they may amend their decision as they cannot make someone in your situation (a non party to the case) continue to have her as a tenant (and of course, there is no mortgage).

Once the Chancellor modifies their order, someone in your situation can evict her. Technically, this may even be done now, but it is best to wait to ensure that the Court is also in the loop as to what is happening.

Also, she may be sanctioned/held in contempt for lying, which includes admonishment, fines, and imprisonment.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.