How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Spousal Support Judgment in California. My ex and I

Customer Question

I have a Spousal Support Judgment in California. My ex and I have dual Canadian/American Citizenship. He is looking for work back in Canada. Currently lives and pays taxes in California. How do I enforce my Judgment if he moves back to Canada? We were married 30 yrs. and the court set monies from any source at 36.5% with no time limit.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Your support order is enforceable in Canada by retaining an attorney in the province where your ex is working and having your US based support order Domesticated in a Canada court. From there, the order will be passed onto the provincial government office called the Family Responsibility Office (FRO). This office will then collect the support payments and forward them onto you. Here is a link to a discussion of the FRO in Canada:

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,