LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

I have a Spousal Support Judgment in California. My ex and I

Customer Question

I have a Spousal Support Judgment in California. My ex and I have dual Canadian/American Citizenship. He is looking for work back in Canada. Currently lives and pays taxes in California. How do I enforce my Judgment if he moves back to Canada? We were married 30 yrs. and the court set monies from any source at 36.5% with no time limit.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Your support order is enforceable in Canada by retaining an attorney in the province where your ex is working and having your US based support order Domesticated in a Canada court. From there, the order will be passed onto the provincial government office called the Family Responsibility Office (FRO). This office will then collect the support payments and forward them onto you. Here is a link to a discussion of the FRO in Canada: http://www.cleo.on.ca/en/publications/spousalsupport/how-spousal-support-enforced

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug