How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

State of residence is Montana. My son is a single parent of

Customer Question

State of residence is Montana. My son is a single parent of two teenage daughters and wants me, the children's grandmother, to be able to act in his stead as their guardian when needed. Not just for medical situations but also for school appearances and court dealings. Can this be done and how.
Submitted: 2 years ago via LawDepot.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

With few exceptions, yes you can pretty easily be given permission to act in your son's stead in dealing with school, doctors and other situations. However, under Montana law you will not be allowed to act in his stead in court actions unless you are a licensed attorney. Even if you were appointed by the court as a Temporary Legal Guardian of your grandchildren, you would not be allowed to act in your son's stead in court actions that your son was involved in.

For most other issues, all you need is to be appointed as a temporary guardian pursuant to a document signed by your son. Here is a link to such a document that will allow you to represent you son---where your granddaughters are concerned, in almost all situations:

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,