How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118256
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Wisconsin. My husband was an attorney. Three years

Customer Question

I live in Wisconsin. My husband was an attorney. Three years ago he was let go from his pratice for what i thought was an unrenewed contract. It turns out it was because tgey had found drug paraphernalia in his office. I did not know my husband had become a heroin addict. Prior to the jobloss i had thought we had a perfect marriage. The firm never alerted me to a problem. Never gave him the option of treatment even though another employee had been found to be an addict and was sent to treatment. My husband had a complete breakdown is still an addict and i have had to file for divorce. We have been together for ten years. Five married five living togetherI. I love this man. It has crushed me ti have to separate. He was my care guver for all these years as i myself am bipolar and have a couple other mental problems that have been greatly affected. Including not being able to care for my children properly and having to let them live else where to maje sure they get the proper attention and do nit have to suffer because of these problems. If the firm would have saud something or worked with him like they did the other employee i am sure we would still be that happy, loving, fulfilled couple raising my beautiful children in a happy home that we were. We are in our mid thirties and this has devastated our lives to the point I don't know how we will ever recover independently. With no hope of recovering together anymore at all
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am sorry, but what is your actual question for us regarding this matter?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My actual question is are they liable in any way for my marriage falling apart. Can i sue them for anything? Loss of consortion, pain and suffering, just anything. I hold both them and my husband responsible. I'm divorcing him and if i can want to sue them too. I also have very unethical emails between all attorney's that I know the board should have where do i send those?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

I am afraid that WI does not allow any type of lawsuit for alienation of affection that you are trying to bring. These types of actions are called "heart balm torts" and they have been barred in WI. So I am afraid it is not their duty to inform any spouse or relative that an employee is using illegal drugs and they are not responsible for the employee using illegal drugs, so legally I am sorry to say the firm is simply not liable to you for anything.

If you have alleged unethical emails that you legally came to possess, you would turn those over to the WI Bar Office of Disciplinary Counsel (

While you may be able to file a complaint against them, I am afraid that does not equate to a legal right to sue them, because as I said above to sue you had to prove they had a legal duty to you and there is no such duty I am sorry to say.