Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

Perhaps. In Kansas, 17 year old daughter (60 days from 18)

Customer Question

perhaps. In Kansas, 17 year old daughter (60 days from 18) is in emotionally abusive situation -- has ben for sometime but now escalating. She lives with custodial but wants me (non custodial) to pick her up. If I do so, can she be forced to leave my house?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

If the non-custodial parent takes physical / residential custody of a minor child (under 18) without proper court order or custodial parent's permission / consent, then such non-custodial parent can be held in contempt of court and could face various sanctions, which can vary from legal fees / fines to jail time.

So, the proper way to address similar situation is to document any type of abuse related to the minor child and to report it to the Child Protective Services and the local Police and then to file a Petition to Modify Child Custody with the local family court which had ordered current child custody terms.

Unfortunately, realistically, the process can take more than 60 days, within which the child will become legal adult and will be able to reside anywhere, making the the legal process impractical and mute.

I wish you the best of luck!