How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

OK so I am sure you have heard this before, my ex destroyed

Customer Question

OK so I am sure you have heard this before, my ex destroyed my life. A long time back she played the cry wolf game using false allegations of domestic violence. She was a pretty young thing and had no problem convening the judge to grant the ex-parte order
and from there dragged me and my name through the mud. She broke our family and put our kids through hell. The domestic hearing trial was a joke, I never spoke a word, and the judge blasted my ex for trying to turn the proceedings into a divorce matter. When
the judge forced my ex to only talk about domestic issues she had nothing to say. The judge became outraged and question the veracity of my ex, finding no evidence of domestic violence. I was a sucker, I brought her and her son into my life and home and paid
for everything. I helped her with her career and after she got a decent job and then when she received an inheritance, she decided to get rid of me. I was literally destroyed, couldn’t eat, work and it took all I had just to survive. If I were in my right
mind I would have taken her to court back then, but I didn’t. I just learned this summer that she is still singing the same song spreading lies about me and domestic violence to the world and as she is alienating our children against me. With just learning
about her spreading lies about me, do I have any legal options here?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.
I am sorry to hear of this situation for you.

If you want to lay a foundation for defamation of character, I suggest you first need to write her a cease and desist letter. It can be as simple as


It has come to my attention that you continue to spread lies, untruths and innuendos about me and insinuating that I was abusive to you. As you recall, you brought this matter to court once and the judge threw it out as unfounded. This is a Notice that you must immediately Cease and Desist any and all further comments in this regard as it is harming my reputation and good name and affecting my ability to earn a living. If you do not stop immediately, I will have no option but to file a defamation lawsuit against you and I will also seek to have the court order you pay any and all of my legal fees in this regard.

Sign you name and mail to her certified mail with a return receipt requested. This will be prove that you have put her on Notice and she received the Notice. If she continues, then I suggest you can file the defamation lawsuit.

The letter is important, however. Otherwise, a court can say that she did not know that this was harming you and can toss your case out. And if you want to seek legal fees, you will need to show the court you tried to end this out of court, but she continued.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well thank you for your response, its much appreciated. It's been hard over the years and has taken its toll on me, emotionally and physically. The last couple of years I have been wondering why neighbors have become standoffish and more importantly why my two boys who were like best friends with me, above and beyond father and son, have all suddenly turned against me. That's when this summer the ex sent me an email accusing me of new acts of domestic violence in an email that she gave to my boys to read.I am actually worried about her as I truly think she is loosing touch with reality. Her statements in the email talk about punching to the face and throwing a vacuum cleaner at her. Neither of these two acts were ever brought up at the original domestic violence hearing, so she is still fabricating these things in her twisted mind. We split after the trial so she cant be talking about any other time frame.During the first trial, the judge urged my ex to think hard and explain to the courts about anything that might be considered a violent act committed by me. And of course she had nothing to say, this is when the judge became upset with her.I don't know how to fix my reputation with my own neighborhood or how to mend the broken bonds with my boys! I am concerned that if I do take the ex to court it will only make things worse with my boys thinking I am going after her.I was bullied when I was a little boy and made a promise to myself to never treat anybody in this world with anything but the utmost respect. Now I am being portrayed as a monster! I know what it's like, I am sure my best friends and family have had conversations with one another, questioning whether I could of done any of the things she accused me of. There is no way around it.I don't think I can fix my reputation, but I sure would like to try.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply

I suggest if you do not want to send the letter yourself you have the option of consulting with a local attorney to discuss this defamation. The attorney can write and mail the letter for you on letterhead. Unfortunately, the letter is going to be a first step. I am sorry to hear of this situation for you. But there are steps that need to be taken in these matters and the letter is a first step. However, consider the consultation with a local attorney who could take the matter on a contingency basis for you. That means, if the attorney feels there is a case, they will take it without upfront fees to you.