How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28380
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband had an affair and now the other woman is

Customer Question

My husband had an affair and now the other woman is pregnant. He and I are working on our marriage and hope to be able to get through this affair and be actively involved in the child's life. My question is, do I have any legal rights? The other woman is knowingly having a child with a married from my point of view, knowingly with a married couple, yet her actions lead me to believe that she will fight to keep the child out of my life. She admitted to falling in love with my husband and I strongly believe that she lied when she said she was taking birth control, in hopes of trapping him since she knew that he didn't love her back and had no plans of leaving me.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. From a legal standpoint, you would likely be viewed as a step-parent. She is the biological mother and he is the father, so even though you were married to him at the time, it would not necessarily give you a legal right to act on behalf of the child. Of course, you could try and adopt the child, but if the mother wants to keep the child and not give up her legal rights, then this is not going to happen. I understand the argument you are making above but you would not have a legal right to the child.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!