How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27615
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Mother and son are leaving town to live somewhere else, is

Customer Question

mother and son are leaving town to live somewhere else, is there anything i can do to keep my son? this is the second time possibly the third time they move. mother does not work and boyfriend can not keep a stable job
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Do you have any custody of the child through court order? Were you married to the mother at any time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i was not married to her and yes its thru court
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. If you have custody or visitation through a court order, she can not simply move out of town with the child, unless you agree. If she did, she could be in violation of the order and could face criminal charges and be held in contempt of court. If you know this is happening, you need to file an emergency motion with the court, restricting/preventing her from doing this and even going as far asking the Judge to award you temporary custody, until this can be decided.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions