How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28052
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just found out that an an older teenager (15-16) and a

Customer Question

I just found out that an an older teenager (15-16) and a family member, raped my children 22 years ago. He was put in my custody after being removed from his father for physical abuse. Of course he is now grown with a teenager of his own and my children are grown with families. Is there anything I can do? I wish I had known at the time, but had no clue. My children have carried this dark secret for 22 years. My son is now seeking help and came and told his parents. My daughter is yet to come forward with the truth. I have had 22 years of hell from my daughter as a result. I never understood why till now. Please help me. I wonder if he is still abusing children, maybe even his own. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Yes, this is something which can and should be reported to the police. They will need to investigate and will certainly want to speak with your adult child, to find out information about what happened. I am inclined to believe that there would not be any physical evidence to support this BUT the testimony of your child could be enough to arrest and charge and take the case to trial on. It would be at the discretion of the State to prosecute but if your child wants to come forward and cooperate, there could be a basis to file criminal charges.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!