How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30365
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am dirvoced I was married to my ex husband yrs am I

Customer Question

I am dirvoced I was married to my ex husband for 11 yrs am I entitled to his ension
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Did you request a portion of the pension as part of the divorce proceedings? Was it mentioned at all in the divorce decree? If so, what did it say? How long have you been divorced?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No not in divorce decree divorce d 12 yrz
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

Read your divorce decree very, very carefully to see if there is any language that would allow you to revisit your husband's pension. Usually, if you divorce before the money is being received each month, then it's part of the property settlement and cannot be revisited later. It's unfortunately too late to reopen that part of the divorce, unless your husband hid the pension from you and you just found out about it.

But if you're receiving spousal support, that is something you can modify later. It may be possible to request an increase to spousal support based on your husband's change in income. That might be another way to try to get some of the money.