How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30337
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is a cop and very intimidating. Ever since saying

Customer Question

My husband is a cop and very intimidating. Ever since saying he wants a divorce he tells me what when and how things will be re our money, bills, custody of our dtr and coming to our marital home. Can he do this? Also my dtr would like him to continue
counseling but he said no. Can the court order him to go? Also can they order counseling to help us communicate re her? Also he has been very nasty and always calling me names and puts me down - how do I get this to stop?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

You do not have to agree with anything your husband is telling you must happen. If he's vacated the marital residence, you can get a court order saying he's not allowed to enter without notice + your consent (and even then, he'd need a reason, like picking up belongings left behind). You can also ask for spousal support before the divorce is finalized, child support, and a custody order that you both must follow. There's no rule that the more intimidating spouse gets to walk all over the other in a divorce. With that said, it would probably help significantly for you to have a local attorney assist you. You have the ability to file a motion asking that he be required to help you with legal expenses.

A judge can also order him to continue counseling, and if the need for counseling is in any way related to his ability to parent, you can request that visitation be suspended until it's completed. A judge can order him not to contact you for any reason not directly related to your daughter, which should stop nasty comments. He can also be ordered not to disparage you in front of your daughter. And if you have an attorney to help with the divorce, you can require that all communication go through that person. You don't have to talk to someone who is constantly putting you down.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.