How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 12 year old daughter does not like going to visit her mom

Customer Question

My 12 year old daughter does not like going to visit her mom every other weekend. The parenting plan only allows for supervised visits with a licensed professional. But I have allowed the mom and step dad every other weekend. The other for kids hedge not expressed any preferences
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Please tell me

1 - There is a court order for the supervised visits, but you allow them and they are not supervised?

2 - Has your daughter decided she did not want these visits since you began allowing the non supervised visits?

3 - Do you know what your daughter's concern is with her visits?

4 - What is your question in this regard; what information can I provide to you?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. The licensed counselors see the need for more time with mom. But she can't afford sessions. We are trying this on a trial basis.
2. my daughter does not wish to be there at all.
3. She feels that her mom is trying to make me out to be the bad guy. Also she had more freedoms at my home.
4. Can she choose our I'd it still up to adults?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your response.

You are under no legal obligation to do anything other than what the court order directs. So if you have initiated the non supervised visits with an agreement between you and the Mother, you can stop them. If your daughter does not want any visits at all as directed by the court - supervised, then your option is to file a Modification and make a request that the visits stop. If you can show that they are harmful to your daughters health/mental well being, you might have a better chance as the courts do not like hindering the parental bonding with either parent.

Now, if the Mother is supposed to pay for the supervised visits and she cannot afford it and does not file a waiver to have any fees removed, then it is not necessary for you to send your daughter on visits that are not supervised. Your only obligation is to make your daughter available for supervised visits with the Mother as the court has ordered.

So at this time you can stop any other visits that are not in compliance with the court's directive.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you

Related Family Law Questions