How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I couldn't locate my husband years now. He is a US

Customer Question

I couldn't locate my husband for 3 years now. He is a US citizen, we got married in the Philippines in 2009 and lived together until he said he needed to go back to the US in 2012 for some medical treatment. In 2009 I traveled with him to the US on a B1B2
visa. He has cut off all communications with me since 2012. I found out thru social media he had pictures with another woman. I had a suspicion he didn't come back to the US because I went to Wisconsin to check with his relatives there. They said he wasn't
there. Can I file for divorce myself? I've been reading that it's fastest in Nevada. My father filed a I -130 for us in 2004 and if I'm divorced my status could be adjusted from married (was married to my 1st husband which ended in annulment, then he eventually
died years later) to unmarried(if I'm divorced from my current but absent husband)?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, you may file for divorce here in the US. And Nevada is the fastest place to acquire residency for purposes of the state have jurisdiction for a divorce. You need be a resident of the state only 6 weeks and then the court may entertain your petition for divorce. And yes, if you divorce, your status would then be changed from married to single.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,