Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I was approved family of five and snap in Jan 2014 and was

Customer Question
I was approved for my...
I was approved for my family of five for medicaid and snap in Jan 2014 and was told to report income over 3000 per month. From Jan to May our income was less than $2000 per month because my husband was laid off on unemployment. He went back to work in June and had earnings of $4000 that month so I sent check stubs in to dhs in July. I never received anything back from DHS, he was laid off again in November and made under $3000 in November and under $2000 in December. Dhs is now asking his employer for wages for the year of 2014. I unsure if my caseworker reported my change in income for those five months. I recertification for medicaid again in Jan 2015 based on income from December 2014. Will medicaid not cover my family for the months we made too much even if my caseworker didn't do my change of income for those months?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
9/12/2015
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you have proof that you sent in the earnings proof, then there is no fraud committed, they have to prove intent. Even if your case worker did not report the income change, as there was no intent on your part or fraud and you can show you sent in your stubs, they may make you repay benefits for those two months, but they can also agree to waive it, if they even catch it. If it was only 4 months, they may not even catch this.

they can only make me pay back benefits for the months the income was over the limit I assume?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, most times, they will only make you pay the benefits for the months you should not have received them and they will waive penalties and interest if you show you did report it as you were supposed to do.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer