Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was married in 1980, we lost contact as he left the

Customer Question
country... We both remarried years...
I was married in 1980, we lost contact as he left the country... We both remarried years later and have since divorced our 2nd spouses.. Are we still legally married, a divorce was never acquired between us
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
9/11/2015
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Yes, you are still technically married. Every state/jurisdiction in US disallows bigamous marriage. I hate to say it, but your second marriage was technically VOID ab initio (at beginning), and the divorce to the second marriage should have been an annulment.

But regardless, you are still married technically to him. You may wish to get a divorce, and can have him served VIA ALTERNATIVE SERVICE and get a default judgment divorce. So this is possible.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.