How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116808
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a "family care" provider distant family member. The

Customer Question

I am a "family care" provider for a distant family member. The baby in which I am caring for through Social Services (State of California) is 20 months. The mother (whom I am not related) is not completing her required drug/parenting courses, and I have recently found the baby in which I care for father is not biologically her father, he is my relative. The social services/human services wants the baby to be reunited with the "father" whom is not biologically the father. He is the father to 3 young children who are the baby I am caring for half sisters and brother. There is a hearing December 3, 2015 which will conclude if the father is able to be reunited with the 4 children, of which he lost in October 2014 to the Child Protective Services. My question, should I retain a lawyer for the baby, to find out her rights, and to see if I can adopt. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You should absolutely obtain an attorney if you do not believe the father is not fit to have the child, because child protection is one of the most negligent and incompetent agencies you would ever deal with and their interest is not the child, but the easiest way out of handling something. So if you believe the father is unfit, you need to get yourself your own attorney to protect the baby and your interests to prevent harm from coming from the child.

Related Family Law Questions