How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in the state of Tn and my husband lives in IL. He

Customer Question

I live in the state of Tn and my husband lives in IL. He filed for divorce. I have been served with a summon. What form do I need to respond
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Your primary need at this time is to get your Response on file so that your husband does not obtain a default judgment against you. While you will eventually need an attorney to assist you, in the meantime you can use this form to file your responsive pleading:

All you will need to do, if the suit for divorce is not in Lake County, is to look at the summons and place the proper county name and Judicial District in the heading of the form.

You will fill out the form and mail the original and 3 copies to the court with a return envelope and the filing fee. Call the court for the filing fee and send a money order or cashier's check---not a personal check for the fees along with your Response.

You must serve your husband by mail with a copy of your response. Along with the response you will need to prepare a proof of Service. The original of the Proof of Service will need to be filed with the court as well. This can be done after you get the copies of the response back and mail one to your husband. Here is the format for the Proof of Service. You can easily create this document on your own computer, or pay a small fee to print it out:

Do be sure that you retain an attorney though as soon as possible because the paperwork necessary for the divorce will be quite complex and you will in all likelihood need help in finalizing your divorce.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,