Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

When does visitation end in New York state? Our agreement

Customer Question
Hello, when does visitation...
Hello, when does visitation end in New York state? Our agreement clearly states the end date for child support as 21, or 23 if still in full time education, but it does not say when visitation ends. I would like more time with my 18 year old, but my ex-spouse will not allow it. Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
9/10/2015
Family Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It's really up to your 18 year old. While a parent is required to provide child support until the child turns 21 years of age, for custody and visitation child support purposes, a child is considered to reach the age of majority at the age of 18. Accordingly, when a child reaches child visitation age of 18 years old, he or she is no longer under the custody of either parent. Thus, we have the anomaly that a court can order child support, to be paid to a "custodial parent", for a child over 18 years of age, yet there is no parental child custody.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Hello?

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it 3 or more stars (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

Again, please note that you will need to rate this to close out the question. The rating area is on your screen. IF you have rated this and it's still not going through, please let me know. Thanks!

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it positively, 3, 4, 5 stars (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

I see that you still have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

Please note that the rating is the stars that you see on your screen. Rate it three or more so that I can get credit for my answer and paid for the time that I spent with you. Thank you.

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer