How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9908
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband retired and moved to Costa Rica 7 months ago. Now

Customer Question

My husband retired and moved to Costa Rica 7 months ago. Now need a divorce. No children. 2 houses with no equity and 1 vehicle. No other personal property. Sold everything to go to Costa Rica. Didn't work out. I am back in the states. I think it will be not be contested. What can I do? No street address for delivery of paperwork just a parcel number from lease of property he is staying at. I do have power of attorney if that makes any difference.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

a few minutes please.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

A power of attorney does not have an effect on the divorce process- ie the agent cannot accept service because of the conflict of interest, and because the service must be in person. When a party relocates out of country, and the address is unknown, the court will expect the filing party to hire a private investigator to locate the current address and then personally serve the individual in accordance with the state's laws. If the party is unable to be located after a due diligent search, then the party filing can notify the court of this via an affidavit of due diligence. The court will generally allow the divorce to proceed under the "default" method, so that the property can be divided, with the other party's share put in escrow/trust for when s/he is located. The court does have jurisdiction over property located in that state, so division of property should not be a problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thanks for the offer to take more money. I got no information that I didn't already get from my earlier google search. I think this must be a scam and cannot believe I fell for it! I will dispute this charge.
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

I didn't make an additional services offer.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

It may be the site asking if you want a subscription.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

I'm an individual contributor so I don't have access/control over billing issues.

Related Family Law Questions