How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31733
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter in NC wants my daughter in TN to adopt her

Customer Question

My daughter in NC wants my daughter in TN to adopt her child. Which state do they have to file the adoption and can this by handle by a lawyer without having to go to court?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm licensed in Tennessee. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.

The adoption would have to be filed in the state of the child's residence (where the child has lived for at least 6 months). Thus, if the child lives in NC, the case would have to be filed there.

As for going to court, the judge is going to want to see both sets of parents and the child before awarding the adoption, but it will not be an adversary matter if all parties consent to what is being requested.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Thus, at least one appearance in court (in NC) would be required.

Related Family Law Questions