Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

There is a situation I want to report but I'm not

Customer Question
exactly sure who to report...
There is a situation I want to report but I'm not exactly sure who to report to so I'm looking for advice. I am a mandated reporter as a former special education teacher and I also have worked with adults with developmental disabilities for the past 20
years. My friend has been helping out a friend of his with the custody over her daughter. The woman no longer wants custody at this point as the girl is not in a position mentally to be in her home and needs placement in a facility that can handle her. She
has been sexually molested and abused in many ways. The father has custody and has moved three times this year alone. This week he moved her from MN to WI and sent a text message to the mother simply stating that he had moved to WI and that the new exchange
point had been moved. I was with my friend the day she received the message and contacted him. As a recently divorced mother I understand that a parent cannot simply move out of state without approval from the court. He was also told two moves ago by the judge
that he could lose custody if he moved again but that does not stop him. The mother is afraid to report anything as she is in no position to take her daughter. The girl has become a predator herself, including a sexual predator. The father has moved her in
with his new girlfriend a her son who is around the same age as his daughter. It is unlikely that this woman is aware of his daughter's predatory nature. I want this young girl to have the best chance at success and feel that placement is the only way for
that to happen. Both the mother and my friend agree. We just need to know what to do to get there. Do we call local law enforcement to notify them of parental kidnapping? Do we contact law enforcement of where the girl is supposed to be living of parental
kidnapping? Social services? DHS? There are many routes and none of us are sure on the correct one. Thank you very much for your time.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
9/8/2015
Family Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of the situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Unfortunately, law enforcement does not handle issues of relocation violations by parents. As the mother does not have legal custody of her daughter there has been no child stealing but rather simply a relocation in violation of state family law.

Social Services and DHS will not be able to help either. The only avenue to deal with the issue of relocation is for your friend to file a Motion for Contempt with the court.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law