How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28052
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a divorce decree that clearly states the non

Customer Question

I have a divorce decree that clearly states the non custodial parent is responsible for 40% of the first 15000 of college costs for 4 years. He isn't paying, how do I get him to pay?
This is in NYS
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Based upon what you shared above, you would need to file a motion with the court, seeking to hold him in contempt /show cause, as to why he is failing to comply. If it is clearly in the decree, there is no reason he should not pay and he will have to appear before the Judge and explain his refusal. The clerk of court has the forms for you to fill out and file, to start the process and I also provided a link below with additional information. Although the county may differ, the procedure is the same, so I want you to get an idea of what happens.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!