Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My ex husband and I owned an $8.900.000 furnished "spec"

Customer Question
home in Naples Florida in...
My ex husband and I owned an $8.900.000 furnished "spec" home in Naples Florida in 2010. WE WERE ALREADY SCHEDULED TO DIVORCE AND I was told that I would receive as a % of the earnings an approx. $500.000.I was called by the ex, one week prior to the closing and informed by him that they did not get their "price" .... therefore I would not be receiving any money from the sale.I asked about the closing, (I believe I could have attended ? ) and my ex told me, quote, "Your not allow to come to the closing"This was a very dark time in my life.. my ex had told me we that he had lost everything we had, and we had a lot....and that he wanted a divorce and quite simply "abandoned" me leaving me with zero assets...My question is this : Where can I find a "record" of the exact closing figures and paperwork ? Isn't a closing, part of the public record ? Can I find them as easily as requesting them from the Clerk of Court ? or do I need to file a"Motion"for him to produce the info?The only problem I see is this...... My signature is not on this document... However, I was still married to the man who built this home, under his partners LLC.I have hired a Legal Aid attorney that has given me several Motions to file recently, in order to demand Alimony he owes me...BUT IT IS MY BELIEF THAT THE MONEY MY EX STILL LIVES ON, WHILE I STARVE, IS THE $100,000.00 THAT HE TOOK FOR HIMSELF AND SIMPLY LIED TO ME ABOUT.I NEED TO FIND THESE DOCUMENTS...PLEASE HELPTHANK YOUBetsy
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/8/2015
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Further, if you get a message asking if you want to do additional services like a telephone call that message is automatically generated by the website and is not sent from me. I, like most of the experts in the Legal categories, do not do telephone calls due to issues with State Bar rules and other concerns.

Where can I find a "record" of the exact closing figures and paperwork ?

Normally the only places that will have a copy are the buyers, the sellers, and the company that handled the closing which will either be a lawyer's office or a title company.

Isn't a closing, part of the public record ?

No, not usually. The only part that will be a part of the closing will be the deed and it doesn't have the actual figures on it.

Can I find them as easily as requesting them from the Clerk of Court ? or do I need to file a"Motion"for him to produce the info?

Usually the clerk of court will not have them and you will either need to get them through discovery or through a subpoena to the closing company.

DWAYNE, HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHO THE ATTORNEY WAS HANDELING THE CLOSING AND WHAT THE TITLE CO'S NAME WAS ?
THANKS
BETSY

It may have it on the deed, which will be public record, but if not there is no way of finding out other than sending discovery to your ex.

JD 1992
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer