How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19134
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a three ye ar old son with a man I am no longer with.

Customer Question

Hello. I have a three ye ar old son with a man I am no longer with. My son was born with a very rare medical condition - panhypopituitarism - that makes him medically fragile. He has adrenal deficiency so a minor illness or injury can be fatal very quickly. Anyone who cares for him has to be versed in the protocol of his care
I recently found out - this weekend - that my ex has been lying to me for months. He has a girlfriend (she is 18. He is 36.) who lives with him. He has lied -quite literally - every single dau. He has taken my son out of state without permission, has left him in the ccar of people unprepared, even said my son was lying when he told me that he and the gf went to the zoo, etc (The gf happens to have the same name as my exs niece). His lying - according to.his forner therapist is pathological. Anothee said he has a narcassistic personality. My ex has been in psychiatric care, has documented mental illness in his family , his mother has attempted suicide and his
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it justified? He had also threatened me physically and threatened to not return my son.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Part of your post was cut off.

Is what justified?

Is the father's name on the Birth Certificate?

Is there a Custody and Visitation Order in place?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'M sorry. There is a temporary visitation order. He has not taken the ordered time in two years. I worked with him after his schedule changed. He recently filed to make the order permanent. But my concerns have grown....particularly due to the lies. He is putting my son in danger. He has told me son to lie to me. Has denied things my son has told me...than they turn out to be true. He is living with a 19 year he had known 3 months. He has literally lied to me every day for months. Taken my son out of state without permission. Threatened not to return him. He is behind in child support. Very verbally abusive. He has not shown up at the hospital when my son is there because he 'can't handle it.'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was asking if a restraining order is justified. He said i need to burn in a fiery death and he wants to be the one to light the match.(On recorded) He has threatened to not return my son snd said come find us. We have gotten along in between these outbursts ....he is contrite and I just so desperately want peace...but the cycle repeats again and again
He is mentally ill.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

When is he supposed to return your son to you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He doesn't have him. I do. He has created chaos to divert and then says he needs space or claims he knows i wouldnt let him have him. (Going back now...over texts and pics...i see he had other plans and instead of saying so, he creates a diversion. Its a pattern.) We are supposed to go to mediation before a update with the court scheduled for 9/18.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His judgement is so off. My son's endocrinologist said he (his dad) seems to be detached from reality and has grave concerns about his ability to adequately care for him. (My son had seizures and a blood sugar and adrenal crash) and while he and I were in the ambulance being transferred 80 miles by ambulance to Children's Hospital...he stopped to eat and went shopping. Things like that.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information. Then, it is strongly suggested that you tell the mediator that your son is not safe in his care.

You need to ask the Court to revoke his visitation rights. If he makes a mistake with your son, it may be fatal and there is not a do-over. You should act now to prevent him from having visitation until he has sought proper treatment.

You should also get a Restraining Order against him for you and on behalf of your son.

Related Family Law Questions