How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am separated and in the process of divorcing. Since the

Customer Question

I am separated and in the process of divorcing. Since the separation my husband has been spending a tremendous amount of money on himself and on gifts and entertainment with his girlfriend. He has bought an extra car for 18000 without my consideration and has spent roughly 20000 on his girlfriend in the past 5 months. He has also not allowed me access to the checking and credit card statements which I previously had access to. He is giving me money but not nearly enough and we had agreed to both curb our spending which I have done. We do not have any financial agreement currently.. I have asked him to stop his excessive spending of marital assets and he states that he can spend his money how he wants. Do I have any rights to stop this??
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Once you file for the divorce, all money can be considered as martial property and when it comes time to discuss.argue distribution of marital assets, you can present all the money that has been spent during the separation period so the court can consider it when deciding all marital asset distribution. You will be able to subpoena all bank records, and his spending habits during the separation.

I suggest, however, that you might consider mediation at this time so an Agreement can be drafted and it can include distribution of marital assets taking into consideration what he is already spending and include a provision for non spending, if you cannot come to a full mediation resolution that can be discussed as an issue during the divorce.

I also suggest, if you have not already done so, you consider at least a consultation with a local family law attorney

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you