Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My wife and I were divorced last year. Before she filed she

Customer Question
went back to school for...
My wife and I were divorced last year. Before she filed she went back to school for her Master which I paid for. I also put $140,000 in to our home which kept and I didn't recover those investments as the appraised price remained the same. Before we were married I accumulated options in my company which later became $400,000 which she got half of because I didn't have a prenup. Can she seek an increase in alimony in PA if I choose not to pay for our kids education?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
9/7/2015
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you do not pay for the education of the children that does not mean she can seek an increase in alimony. Also, if you paid for her education, you can seek to claim reimbursement for that, since your marriage never received the benefit of the education. Alimony is based on her actual needs and your ability to pay, it does not get tied to your obligations to your children, those are separate and the PA court could not order you to pay for college support, without an agreement between the parties, even indirectly by increasing alimony. See: Pa. Cons. Stat. tit. 23, §4327(a).

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer