Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I KNOW IN CONNECTICUT,AFTER SEVEN YEARS-COUPLES THAT LIVE

I KNOW IN CONNECTICUT,AFTER SEVEN YEARS-COUPLES THAT LIVE TOGETHER
ARE LEGELY MARRIED
MY QUESTION:IS THERE A LAW OR STATUE IN MASS,THAT SAYS SAME THING NO
MATTER HOW MANY YEAR'S????
IN THIS CASE 13 YRS.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid that your information about Connecticut is incorrect. It is an old wives tale that if you live together for a period of time you are married. In legal fact the CT courts have stated, “Although other jurisdictions may recognize common-law marriage or accord legal consequences to informal marriage relationships, Connecticut definitely does not.” See: McAnerney v. McAnerney, 165 Conn. 277, 285, 334 A.2d 437 (1973).

So, it is not legal in Connecticut even if you lived together 50 years.

MA also does not recognize common law marriages formed within the state of MA, it does not matter if you have lived together forever. Under MA law, a valid marriage is one performed by a person authorized to do so after obtaining a license. Common law marriages are not allowed in MA. There is no statute in MA recognizing such marriages.