mkc1959
mkc1959, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney with 26 years of experience.
55483656

My son is being taken to court support and insurance of s

Customer Question

My son is being taken to court for child support and insurance for one of his sons. He has had very little contact with his son who is being raised by his grandmother. Grand mother has no legal rights to his son. My son has not divorced his wife yet, even after 7 years. His wife gave up her rights to her son when he was just a baby. It is her mother that is raising him. My son does not have money to pay her anything. When he did, he sent her a couple hundred a month. What could, if anything happen to him?? A very concerned mom....
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mkc1959 replied 2 years ago.

If I understand correctly, at this time, there is no court order for your son to pay child support. If this is correct, then the court can only establish a legal obligation for your son to start making regular child support payments. Your son would not, now, be subject to any other penalty or sanction. (The obligation could include an amount for retroactive child support.). Any court case at this time could include claims for custody of your grandson or shared custody. The amount of child support would be a percentage of your son's income. Please let me know what follow up questions you have. If I have answered your question, then please hit the accept button so that I may be paid.