Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

I am in a child support case - I was never served but did

Customer Question

Hi- I am in a child support case - I was never served but did show up - knowing the hearing date - I asked the judge for proof of service and to have all the paper work that was submitted for my review. I have no lawyer they do. Their attorney submitted
a mail service - proof of service - I saw it but told the judge I can't read it - to quick and I don't know. He the judge said it was legal and was submitted to the court one or so months ago. Questions 1. In california I thought to be valid it must accompany
a returned signed paper by me"the seved" to be valid ? 2. Is that legal and why did the judge do this - to say it was good 3. Can I do or submit anything to combat this - he gave me two(2) weeks to get all my stuff in order. 4. Now that it "the mailed proof
of service form" was submitted as proof to me and the judge on record can I get a copy?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting Justanswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today.

1. No, the court does not require that you sign the service paper.

2. There is no way for me to say it was legal or not without being your attorney. If the Judge ruled it was legal, unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it.

3. It's impossible to answer this without knowing more about your situation. However, if the Judge ruled service was legal and proper, that part won't be debatable.

4. Yes. It would be on file at the clerk's office.

I hope this helps!

If you valued my time, please consider rating me positively at the top of the page. Experts don't get credit for our answers unless we are rated. If you have further questions, I'll be happy to follow up until you are completely satisfied.

Michael