How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been married years and my spouse due to an argument

Customer Question

Good morning,
My name is ***** ***** I've been married for 9 years and my spouse due to an argument just decided to up and leave me with no financial support...We recently renewed our 2 year lease for our apartment and I cannot pay all bills alone. What can I do to get some financial assistance.
Look forward to your reaponse
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.

Hello Joannie

Spousal abandonment is a ground for divorce. And if a spouse leaves another with an intent to never return, you can file for a divorce and request temporary spousal support which a court will issue because you have joint monthly living expenses that you both are responsible for. When the divorce is filed you can seek an emergency hearing to have the court order the spousal support on that temporary basis until the matter is fully resolved.

I suggest you might consider consulting with a local family law attorney who will be able to assist you. You also can consider Mediation and the local attorney can direct you to Mediators to choose from.

If you do not want to file for the divorce at this time, you can go to the clerk of the court in the borough where you live and request the documents to file for spousal support because you have been abandoned and have joint monthly debts.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you