How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Seattle Scott Your Own Question
Seattle Scott
Seattle Scott, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 961
Experience:  I have 25 years experience as a Washington State Family Law Attorney.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Seattle Scott is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a legal way to grant an exception to a

Customer Question

Is there a legal way to grant an exception to a protective/restraining order under special circumstances? My wife has a restraining order against her first husband that she doesn't want to have removed. However, our son (her son from her first marriage) is getting married and we want to honor his request allowing his father to attend. How can we do this without lifting the order?
Also: the order was put in place in another state (Utah), not in Georgia. The wedding will be in Atlanta.
Thank you for any assistance!
David Buchanan
U.S. Army
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Seattle Scott replied 1 year ago.

Assuming this is a civil order ex wife obtained as opposed to a criminal order obtained by the prosecuting attorney, then your wife could get the order modified for the wedding day. In other words, she would need to have an additional order entered in Utah ( by agreement with the ex) that says it is not a violation of the old order for ex husband to have contact with ex wife ( be within 500 feet or whatever limitation is on the original order) on such and such day while participating in the wedding celebration of the son.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** contact the State of Utah and find out if my wife needs to be present or if she needs to schedule a hearing. Hopefully she can do this all without having to leave Hawaii and without having to hire an attorney.
Expert:  Seattle Scott replied 1 year ago.

I would think a personal appearance in Utah court would not be necessary, but she will need to submit a detailed supporting affidavit or declaration under oath laying out the situation - convince the judge that her request is reasonable.

Expert:  Seattle Scott replied 1 year ago.

Don't forget to rate my service or send me a followup question if you need more input from me.

Related Family Law Questions