How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask David L Your Own Question
David L
David L, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3255
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney in multiple jurisdictions
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
David L is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex husband has not paid child support in years. He was

Customer Question

My ex husband has not paid child support in years. He was only ordered to pay $267 a month on 3 kids as it was but has not paid. He is over $20,000 behind. Now 2 of my three kids are over 18 and I am paying for their college tuition as well plus still raising our third child. Is there any way to find him and collect? I would also like to see if there is a way to make him help with the college tuition? I do not know where he is and he hasn't seen the kids in years he disappeared. He sent my oldest son a message on facebook about 2 weeks ago though which made it so he was able to find his profile and find that he is living a pretty good life out at bars or at football games in most of them and for sure not appearing to be struggling with money in any way. He has a bunch of pictures at a bar in Hurst Texas and from what we heard was living somewhere in the Dallas area but again I do not know where. Is this a lost cause? I don't want to waste time and money if it will not do me any good.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  David L replied 2 years ago.

Hi and thanks for asking your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. You have a fully enforceable child support order. With a balance that high, it would seem to not be a waste of time to pursue. Finding your ex shouldn't be too challenging. You can hire a local private investigation firm to locate him. It's fairly easy and should not cost very much for them to do. Once you have an address, you can go through the court system by filing an enforcement action to collect the past due child support. You can probably even do this without hiring an attorney.

A judge can find your ex in contempt of court for failing to pay the child support. Once found in contempt, the judge has various ways of enforcing the child support order, including jail time, if necessary.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've tried contacting private investigators and have been told they couldn't help me by all of them. I can't even get them to try and locate him.
Expert:  David L replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the follow up information. Have you tried the parent locator service? I have provided a link below for you. That is a service provided by your state. Also, don't give up on finding a PI Firm that will help you locate him. There are many PI firms that can provide this service to you.