Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Okay so I am a male, and am getting divorced, no kids, no

Customer Question
house, just two cars and...
Okay so I am a male, and am getting divorced, no kids, no house, just two cars and some minor debt. But the wife is holding one of the cars (mine) hostage, I am the co borrower on both vehicles and she plans to get rid of (mine), repo, or whatever she comes up with. do I have any legal right to just go and pick it up? Or what do I need to do, because I cannot even go get another because the bank sees two auto financing on my credit.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
9/3/2015
Family Lawyer: David L, Family Law Attorney replied 2 years ago
David L
David L, Family Law Attorney

Hi and thanks for asking your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Is your name on the title? If so, there is no reason why you can't go get the car. You are a rightful owner and have the legal right to take it.

If your divorce case is pending, you can also file a motion with the court asking the judge for an order requiring your wife to turn the car over to you.

I don't know honestly if my name is ***** ***** title. Would it be if I'm the co borrower? And the divorce hasn't even been filed yet. She isn't sitting down with a lawyer until next Thursday.

Thanks for the additional information. I assume if you are a co-borrower you are on title as an owner. You have an absolute right to get the car, especially since you are married and no divorce has even been filed. As a married couple, you have equal rights to the car.

How can I go about finding out if my name is ***** ***** title, assuming she won't help at all

It should be on the registration, which should be kept in the vehicle. If not, you can probably call the department of motor vehicles and they can tell you how it is titled.

how do I go about getting it? Because I don't want her to file an RO on me. Or have any other legal advantage over me for doing this. I want to make sure I'm bot burying myself in a hole by getting it

It's a marital asset. Each of you has right to use it. If you have a key, you can go pick it up. You mentioned at the beginning that you have two cars. Is this the car she normally used? What is the status of the other car? If you take this car from her will that leave you with both cars and her with no cars?

I don't have a key because it was at the body shop when all this happened, and I don't know if its still at the body shop or not. And no, she uses the other car, and she currently has both. Left me without one.

Ok. You can contact the body shop. If it is still there, you can arrange to pick it up. They would have the keys. Otherwise, the other option is for you to file for divorce and file a motion asking the judge to make her turn over the car to you.

I also just found out that I am on the title

Good. Then you are an owner with rights to the car. Try the body shop. If it's there, you should be able to go pick it up. That would make things easy for you.

it would have, just called them, she picked it up already, so I am keyless and carless.

I think your next step will be to file for divorce and get the car through a court order. Unless you can find a set of keys and go take it.

Is there any advantage to me filing or her filing?

No real advantage either way. The only advantage to you is you get the process started a bit sooner and maybe get the car back a bit quicker.

Can i ust ask the local police to go wit me to get it, or is the judge order the only way.

The police will generally not get involved with civil disputes between spouses. I think the court order will be your best option.

David L
David L
David L, Family Law Attorney