How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30167
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex husband has stopped paying me the child support we

Customer Question

My ex husband has stopped paying me the child support we have agreed on. I have opened a child support case. My question is, what is the average amount awarded to the custodial parent? When the Non-custodial parent makes 54,000 a year. I have been a stay
at home mom and wife for almost 9 years. We were married for 4. Is there a way to be awarded alimony as well.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Alimony is something that typically must be requested during the divorce. If you did not receive it at the time, I'm sorry to say, a judge cannot grant you alimony now. With that said, alimony is usually only awarded when spouses are married for at least 10 years, so it likely would have been denied.

Child support is based on more than just the non-custodial parent's income, and we're not able to do the calculations for you. However, this calculator should help you figure out how much you may be entitled to. If the amount he was paying by agreement was higher, you can ask the judge to enforce the agreement instead.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have done calculations several times and I always get the same amount. As did he when he did calculations. The problem is his new girlfriend seems to think I should not receive that amount. Instead of paying child support he is taking her away for the weekend. Spending money on fast food when the kids are with him. I have Smud threatening to turn off my power. PG&E is almost $500. Water is $300. I am actively looking for work. I have four kids and I just want what it fair. My kids should not suffer because their dad's mistake.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has his unemployed girlfriend and two kids living with him. I think this is way he can't afford to take care of his own.
Is there any legal way to handle this, other than child support order?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
His new girlfriend has no legal say in anything. Child support comes first. You can have it taken straight out of his paycheck. If he wants to throw away the rest on someone who's using him for his money, that's not your problem.
As a matter of public policy, a judge will not allow a parent to say to a child, "I'm sorry, but my new relationship is more important than you are." He needs to pay and he can go to jail if he doesn't.