FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

I have been with my employer years now, and about a year and

Customer Question

I have been with my employer for 3 years now, and about a year and a half ago my ex took me to court to get shared custody of our 2 daughters. The judge worked the custody agreement around my work schedule, where I have to be at his home at a certain time everyday to pick them up. My employer was fine with this and said my work schedule would never change anyway. When I went in to work today she let me know she is changing my shift, I let her know I was unable to do so because of my custody and her response was I could quite if I couldn't. Can she do this?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If your employer needs and wants you to work a certain shift, they have a right to ask and require it. While I completely understand the issue with your daughter and your schedule being around when you have custody of her, that court order is between you and the other parent. Your employer has nothing to do with the custody agreement and if they need you to work a certain schedule, can require it. Now, what you can do is go back to court and modify the order, around your new work schedule. Ideally, the other parent would work with you and agree to modify it but if they impose and object, you need to go back through the court and advise the Judge of the change, after all this time.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!