How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30337
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Question: WA state. Man signed paternity but I realized he

Customer Question

Question: WA state. Man signed paternity but I realized he ISNT the father. He walked out at 2 weeks after an abusive angry outburst which caused me to take baby at 2 wks old to safe place at 4am. He hasn't seen him more than 3-5 times since then. Only when I would come. Never asking. Until a week before we move. (2 weeks ago)
He has consistently been abusive around the baby and has smoked while driving around with us and left weed and guns out loaded. He has not paid for anything except $100 worth of clothes in the entire 5 months he's been alive. I've kept us away from him because of the abusive and unsafe behavior. He just filed against me saying he can't find it and I've hid (I didn't he's LYING) and requested me to have no visitation ect.
Can I file a material mistake of fact for paternity and get it revoked? My son is 5 months old. He isn't the father. And he SHOULDNT be able to take my son or be ordered to have him.
i received notice of hearing by mail.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Yes, you can seek to have the paternity acknowledgment revoked if you know that this man is not the father (or even if you think he might not be). You DO have to respond to the custody papers he filed, but you're allowed to respond that he is not the father. The request to have paternity revoked can be filed at the same time, so it goes to the same judge. You will probably have to consent to a paternity test. But once it comes back negative, then this man won't have any claim to you or your son.

The Response form is available on the court's website:

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.