Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Rec'd letter from DCFS on alleged abuse while working as a

Customer Question
Rec'd letter from DCFS for...
Rec'd letter from DCFS for investigation on alleged abuse while working as a TA. Should I retain an attorney prior to the meeting? This is the first communication rec'd from DCFS
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
9/1/2015
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

a few more minutes please.

While attorneys are quite expensive, it is always prudent to hire an attorney when one is the subject of a DCFS investigation. Basically, when the department receives a report of possible abuse/neglect, they will only investigate it if they believe there is "reasonable cause". If such cause exists, they will open a genreal report, and begin an investigation. This can have far reaching consequences; for example, it can lead to criminal investigations/charges. If the agency finds that there is "credible evidence" they will enter the information in their central registry for 5-50 years (depending on the severity of the allegations/evidence). This can result in the loss of one's position, particularly in the school/health profession. If the investigation results in an "unfounded" charge, all records are destroyed within 36 months, and the central registry is not implicated. An attorney can assist with securing an unfounded result. It is best to hire an attorney that has expertise in regards ***** ***** cases (this can be found by googling this - i.e. our county, attorney, DCFS or CPS). Then verify with the state bar that the attorney is in good standing. If there is a teacher union at the school and this includes TA they may have a referral.

Please see: http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.dsp_content&contentID=852

http://www.illinoislawyerfinder.com/find-a-lawyer That's the link to make sure the lawyer is in good standing. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thank you for using JA. If you have further questions please post here and I will reply. Otherwise kindly rate Positively so the site credits me for assisting you today. Thank you and take care!

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer