Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Can someone write a book about an unresolved murder from the

Customer Question
past based on lies? and...
can someone write a book about an unresolved murder from the past based on lies? and without permission?t
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
8/31/2015
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
Is the book using original names and identifying information of the people involved? Is it being advertised as fiction "based on" or "inspired by" a true story?
Does the book conclude that a real-life person who was NOT convicted of a crime committed murder? Is the murder one that was high-profile or involved famous people?
not sure but he gave a lot of information pertaining to it and a lot of lies
this happened in 1974
the book was just e published

Thank you.

I hate to say it, but it really depends on what the book says. A novel is by definition fiction. It can be inspired by or based on true events. The more the book is separated from the original event - such as through changing the names, locations, and identifying features of the people involved, the safer the author is. On the other hand, if I publish "The Unauthorized Biography of Fred Flinstone," and in it, I conclude that he murdered Barney Rubble with no facts and no conviction, I could be sued for libel (assuming we were talking about real people, not cartoon characters). With high profile cases or famous people, you have to be able to establish not only that the facts stated in the book are untrue, but that the author knew they were untrue or showed a reckless disregard for whether the facts are true or false. That's why unauthorized of famous people pop up - by choosing to be famous, they've given up their right to privacy. Similarly, a strong of unsolved murders could be considered a matter of public importance, so a book on that topic would also be subject to the "knowing and reckless disregard" standard.

If you're considering suing someone due to the content of a book they published, the first step would be to read it and find out what it says. Liability is going to be largely based on the content of the book.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer