How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118087
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In the state of PA does a parent have to give the child back

Customer Question

In the state of PA does a parent have to give the child back if they live with their grandparent and the grandparent signs an agreement saying the child will be back on a specific day? There is no custody agreement and the parents have never been married!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One parent lives with their grandmother, the grandmother has asked to see the child and promised that the child will be back on a certain day and will sign a statement saying that but the parent living with her hasn't signed it, so does that parent have an obligation to return the child to the mother?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The child has been living with the mother but there is no custody agreement.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Actually, if there is no court agreement or order on custody, both parents have legal rights to keep the child and if that parent gets the child, regardless of what the grandparent signs, without signing the agreement then they do not have to return the child without a court order. If this is a fear and there is still no custody order and the other parent will not agree to enter at least into a written agreement, which is a binding and enforceable agreement in court, then you need to go to court and file a petition for custody and get a custody order in place before letting the child go.