How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37084
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Live in Wisconsin. 16 1/2 year old daughter with 50/50

Customer Question

Live in Wisconsin. 16 1/2 year old daughter with 50/50 placement. Father told daughter she is no longer welcome at their home. 1. What is the Mothers responsibility moving forward? What is the Daughters responsibility moving forward?
Father may need a cooling down period but Mother and Daughter are concerned about legal ramifications of not abiding by the divorce decree. ( Background-At Fathers choice,Father had no placement or visitation of the child until the daughter was approximately 10 years of age.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.


If the father has decided to give up any visitation/custodial rights under the custody agreement, then if this is a permanent decision, the mother could file a petition with the court to modify the custody agreement and ask for child support to be increased to reflect that she is now the sole custodial parent.


The custodial order grants the father the right to have joint custody, but these are rights, not obligations and he can't be forced to exercise his rights to custody. But if he chooses not to exercise them, then he would be obligated to pay more in child support (if he is paying anything now) so as to ensure that the mother has adequate support to care for the child.





Related Family Law Questions