How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 855
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In California, what precautions should a unwed mother take

Customer Question

In California, what precautions should a unwed mother take before she allows the birth certificate for her new born to list the father's (last) family name instead of her (last) family name?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.

There really aren't any precautions to take. Just realize that if you change your mind, it is very difficult to change your child's name and you need the consent of the other parent to do so. If you ever think that you might not want your child to have his father's last name, then I would not give him that last name. On the other hand, if you intend on marrying the father, it make sense.

If you will not be marrying the father, you may also want to start a court case to outline when the father will see his child and how much child support he will pay. California has a very good self help system where you can find the forms and instructions to do this if you want.

Related Family Law Questions