TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

We were married 20 years ago and just discovered that our

Customer Question

We were married 20 years ago and just discovered that our license was never recorded. What should we do
Submitted: 2 years ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

If you want, you can file a case for a declaratory judgment stating that your marriage is valid. As part of the case, you can file a nunc pro tunc motion with regard to the license. This is basically a motion asking that the court accept the license retroactively.

However, if I were in your shoes, I would probably do nothing about the situation. I assume that nobody is claiming that you are single. So long as everybody is accepting your marriage as valid, I don't see an issue.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would agree with your response except, now my company is requesting a dependent verification including spouses and list a marriage license as a requirement and a need to complete the verification process in 30 days.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Given the need to prove in 30 days any suggestions?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Hello again.

I'm sorry to hear about your company's requirements. If I were you I would inform the company of the mistake. I would make it clear that you are indeed married, but that the license was apparently never filed, or was lost by the court. The bot***** *****ne is that there is no way you're going to get a court to make a ruling with regard to your marriage that quickly. It would be near impossible. Accordingly, I would ask the company for additional time due to your unique circumstances.

I wish that I could be of more help, but the timeframe is just too tight.