TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My brother was killed on tuesday and I was wondering if I

Customer Question

my brother was killed on tuesday and I was wondering if I have rights to see my nephew?
My sister in law is not letting me see my 2 year old nephew.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

First, please except my condolences. I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your brother.

Unfortunately, at this particular moment, you do not have a right to see your nephew. The issue is simply that the child's mother has a right to decide who the child sees and doesn't see. Ordinarily, an uncle does not have a right to see a nephew. In certain unusual circumstances, a court can rule that it is in the child's best interest to see the uncle. However, that would require you filing a lawsuit. A lawsuit like that would be expensive and time-consuming. It would likely be many months before in order were entered in your favor. So, the bot***** *****ne is that in the short term, you would not be able to force your sister-in-law to let you see your nephew.

I am truly sorry that my answer may be bad news for you, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer.