Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My ex hasn't seen s daughter years nor complied with orders

Customer Question
my ex hasn't seen his...
my ex hasn't seen his daughter for 8 years nor complied with orders for counseling and supervised visits but he found out that I left the state for medical treatment and filed for contempt and custody. I didn't know I had to file a petition, I did file a change of mailing address. My daughter is scared of him there is a past of domestic violence and felony convictions but the judge is sympathetic to him. It's a new judge to the case and she won't read the final judgement or anything that came before her assignment
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
8/29/2015
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago

Thank you for your question. I lookf orward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Did you file your own motion for contempt? You should have filed your own motion in response to his motion for him being in contempt of the order. Also, if your daughter is old enough to testify (generally anywhere from 12 and up) you need to allow your daughter to testify in court on the matter and also produce proof of the documented domestic violence to the judge. The judge is not supposed to ignore these issues and if they do, it is basis for an appeal to the court of appeals.

You need to strongly consider using a local attorney because that significantly increases your chances of success in these types of serious matters and you want every advantage that you can have in this type of case with the type of father you describe.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer