How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 16 year old daughter has a 2 1/2 year old daughter. the

Customer Question

My 16 year old daughter has a 2 1/2 year old daughter. the father is 15. The paternal grandfather and I have co guardianship. In May the father moved to Georgia to be with his mother. No child support has been awarded because the grandfather and I were to have 50 50 care. the grand father is only taking her about 1 weekend out of the month,
here is the kicker, the grand father is getting child support from the other grand mother in a sum of 100.00 a week, is thid right
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, it sounds perfectly correct. Under state child support laws, when a child is born to a minor whose parents are still legally responsible for that minor, each of the minor's parents are liable for the support of the grandchild until the minor-mother turns 18 or is otherwise emancipated.

In this instance, because you and the paternal grandfather supposedly are to have 50/50 custody, the court would not typically award support be paid as between the two of you. However, if the paternal grandfather is divorced, he would be eligible to seek a share of the cost of raising his grandchild from his ex---the paternal grandmother.

I understand that is sounds rather bizarre, and it rarely works out this way----but it does happen and is entirely in line with parental obligations for minor children.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,