How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116709
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is a US citizan but had a child with a canadian

Customer Question

My son is a US citizan but had a child with a canadian citizan while he was in there country. what are his rights as a father and how does he go about resolving this issue. He has not seen the child and the mother is saying he owes her back pay. He has had no contact until this week and she is threatening him. He does not have the money to go over there and fight in there courts. Can he get a lawyer here that can help him with this
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid that if the child is still in Canada, he is going to have to get an attorney in Canada and he is going to have to file a petition for custody/visitation in the Canadian courts to get a court order up there to resolve the issue. A US attorney cannot help with that. Once he gets a custody/visitation order from the courts in Canada, then he can proceed to file his documentation with US Immigration to make sure the child obtains his legal right to US citizenship. However, the US courts will not get involved in the matter while the child is in Canada, so he is going to have to go to court in Canada to get his custody/visitation and child support situation set by the court. He can find a local family law attorney in the proper area of Canada at the same sites used by other attorneys, or

Related Family Law Questions