How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney2 Your Own Question
Attorney2, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6729
Experience:  29 Years Experience in Family Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter has been married to a navy soldier a year.

Customer Question

My daughter has been married to a navy soldier for over a year. Things are not going well he is verbally abusive, threatens to take her car, phone and etc. he calls her very nasty names and is constantly verbally abusing her. He says he is going to file
for divorce but hasn't done so. What rights legally does she have and who should she report to .
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

I am sorry for this dilemma....can you tell me, has she reported this to his commander yet? If so what was the response?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I can't afford the cost on the phone right now. But yes she has and he was not very accommodating. He actually took her phone last week.
How much is the cost of the phone call?
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

It appears that the attorney that you were working with opted out of your question. It would be my pleasure to assist you at no additional charge to you.

If her husband is being abusive she can either report him to the police or seek the protection of a domestic abuse agency.

"Under Virginia’s laws, it is a crime to injure, attempt to injure, or threaten a member of your family or household. It is also a crime to violate a restraining order.

In Virginia, a person commits family abuse (also called domestic violence) by committing any act against a family or household member that involves violence, force, or threats, and results in physical injury or places the family or household member in fear or injury or harm. Both stalking and sexual assault can constitute family abuse.

Family and household members include spouses, former spouses, parents, children, grandparents, grandchildren, siblings, in-laws who live in the same house, people who have children together, and people who live together or have lived together in the past year.

(Va. Code Ann. § 16.1-228.)"

This is a link for the Virginia Department of Social Services

Where in Virginia is she located so I can provide you with a link for services in her area.